Each user profile has a limits section where you can restrict a user's access to SimpleCloud workstations. This is useful if you have a limited number of workstations, and need to share them between users.
For example, let's say you have one workstation each for all of your full-time artists, and you also have an extra two workstations for freelancers to use. You hire four freelancers to help on your project, but they are going to part-time on different days. By setting limits on the freelancers accounts, you can give two of them access to the workstations on Mondays and Tuesdays, and the other two access to the same workstations on Thursdays and Fridays. So you share the available resources. Also, the limits mean that the workstations cannot be made unavailable accidentally, for example, if one freelancer forgets to log out when they finish work for the week.
To set limits for a user:
- Log in using a Studio Owner or a Studio Manager account.
- On the Dashboard, select Studio to display the Studio page.
- Select the studio and then select Manage Studio.
- Select Team to display a list of the team members that have access to your studio.
- Select the user you want to edit. Their entry in the list expands to reveal the settings for that user account.
- Select the Limits section to expand it. If there are any existing limits set up for the user, they are shown and you can edit those if you want. Alternatively, select Add New Limit.
- Use the limit settings to define what limits will be applied:
- Give the limit a name.
We recommend that you give it a descriptive name so that it is easy for other users to identify the limit's purpose. For example, "Monday access only" would be a more helpful name than "Limit set 1".
- Give the limit a number of units.
This is the amount of hours or credits that you want to apply as a restriction.
- Set the type of limit.
Choose Hours to limit the user's time or Credits if you want to limit the amount of credits the user can spend. When a user logs on to a workstation, credits are deducted from your plan.
- Set the time span for the limit.
You can choose per day, per week, per month, per year, or globally. Globally means in total, it is not based on time.
- Choose which hardware profiles the limit should apply to.
Use the list to choose specific profiles or check the Apply to all hardware profiles box to select them all.
You have now defined the global limits, and these will apply at all times. But you can also set these limits to only apply at specific times. For that, you will need to set a user schedule, see the next step.
- Give the limit a name.
- This step only applies if you want the limits to apply at specific times. If you are happy to let the limits apply at all times, skip this step and carry on with step 9.
To set the limits to apply at certain times, select the Schedules tab. Then, either select an existing schedule or create a new one.
On the schedule, use the orange boxes to highlight the days and hours where you want the limits to apply. You can add extra boxes by selecting any part of the grid, and each orange box has an X icon which you can use to delete it.
The limits will apply at the times that have an orange box. At all other times, the user will be unable to use SimpleCloud workstations (of the type set in the Hardware profiles settings in the limits).
For example, let's say you have the Apply to all hardware profiles box is checked. You also have a schedule that has a 6 hours per day limit, and orange boxes for 08:00-18:00 on Monday and Tuesday only, as shown below:
This means that the user will be able to use workstations on Mondays and Tuesdays only, and they will have a limit of 6 hours use. That 6 hours can be any time between 08:00 and 18:00.
Studios and workstations also have schedules and these can conflict with a user profile. For a user to access a workstation, the studio schedule, workstation schedule, and user schedule must all provide access at the same time. If any of these deny access, the user will not be able to use the workstation. To find out more, see Schedule access to a studio and Schedule access to workstations.
- Select Update to save your changes.