Two-factor authentication (2FA) provides an extra level of security for your SingleCloud experience. Instead of logging in with only your SimpleCloud credentials, you will also need to provide a code that is generated by an app on your mobile device (smartphone or tablet).
It is possible that studio managers will require you to have 2FA enabled, otherwise you will be unable to access the studio workstations to perform your tasks. But even if 2FA is not a requirement, you may still choose to use it just to make your own login more secure.
If you are unfamiliar with 2FA, here's a quick overview of how it works:
- You install a 2FA app on your mobile device.
- You set up 2FA in your profile in SimpleCloud.
- You log in to SimpleCloud using your regular login.
- When you want to perform certain tasks, such as log in to a workstation, you are prompted for a verification code. This is a code that your 2FA app generates on your mobile device.
- Enter the code at the prompt. If the code is correct, then you are verified and logged on. If it is incorrect, you cannot log in.
To set up two-factor authentication:
- Log in to SimpleCloud using your SimpleCloud credentials only.
- On the Dashboard, select Profile.
- In the Profile settings, select the Two-step verification tab in the Password and authentication section.
- Make sure you have installed one of the supported authentication apps on your mobile device. The supported apps are listed on the Two-step verification tab.
- Select Enable Two-step verification.
- Enter your SimpleCloud password at the prompt and select Next.
- Use the authentication app on your mobile device to scan the QR code.
- Make a backup of the recovery code and then select the I have saved the recovery key checkbox.
- Enter the verification code that is generated by the app on your mobile device.
Now that you have 2FA enabled, you may be prompted for the verification code when performing certain tasks in SimpleCloud. This can vary depending on what features the studio manager has chosen to require 2FA. Each time you are prompted for a verification code, get the code from the app on your mobile device. The code changes regularly, so you cannot keep using the same code repeatedly.